Orchestra Camp Session Dates:
June Session (Senior Program Only: Ages 14 – 19):
- Two-Week Program Dates: June 17 – 30, 2023
July Session (Senior Program: Ages 14-19, Young Artists’ Program: Ages 11-13 & Junior Program: Ages 8-10):
- Two-Week Program Dates: July 15 – 28, 2023 (All Divisions)
- One-Week Program Dates: July 15 – 21, 2023 (Note: ONLY the Junior Program and Young Artists’ Program are available for one-week. The Senior Division is only available for two-weeks.)
Orchestra Camp Sample Schedule
- 8:45 – 9:30 a.m.: Full Festival Meeting (including orchestra camp participants, PIMF staff, and all other music camp participants)
- 9:45 – 12:00 p.m.: Orchestra Rehearsal
- 12:00 p.m.: Lunch
- 12:50 – 1:50 p.m.: Electives (Choir, Sight Reading, Jazz Ensemble, Conducting, Composition, Music History, Ear Training, Music Theory, & more)
- 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.: Private Practice (required for all participants)
- 3:15 – 5:15 p.m.: Private Practice, Chamber Music Program*, Sports, or Arts and Crafts
- 5:30 p.m.: Dinner (Resident & Extended Day Campers only)
- 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.: Evening Events (Student Concerts, Faculty Recitals featuring members of The Philadelphia Orchestra, Master Classes, Competitions, Off-Campus trips to Philadelphia Orchestra concert(s), Talent Show, Movie Night, and more!)
*Additional fees apply for Chamber Music Program. PIMF cannot guarantee placement in the 2022 chamber music program after May 1, 2022. If you are interested in participating in chamber music this summer, please sign up via your online account at your earlier convenience (but no later than May 1).
Students in all PIMF summer music programs have three attendance options:
- Resident Camper (residing on campus throughout the duration of the session)
- Extended Day Camper (8:45 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily)
- Day Camper (8:45 a.m. – 5:15 p.m. daily).
Please note that the Extended Day Camp fee includes both lunch and dinner. The Day Camp fee includes lunch only.
The PIMF Symphony Orchestra Program includes three divisions: Our Senior Division (designed for student musicians ages 14-19), our Young Artists’ Division (for students ages 11 – 13), and our Junior Symphony Division (for students ages 8 – 10). The Symphony Program is attended regularly by students from throughout the U.S. and around the world. Auditions are required for acceptance to all PIMF programs. Please do not register online until your official acceptance letter has been received via email. Acceptance is on a rolling basis and spaces are limited. Early registration is highly recommended, as once all orchestra levels are filled to capacity, certain instruments will no longer be accepted and applicants will be put on a waiting list.
Audition Requirements for PIMF Orchestra Camp Programs:
- 5-10 minutes of current, well-prepared solo repertoire.
- Performances may be accompanied or unaccompanied.
- For students desiring to place in higher level ensembles, we recommend that audition recordings include two contrasting pieces.
- Please include scales appropriate to your instrument. Examples below:
Flute | Oboe | Clarinet | Bassoon | Horn | Trumpet | Trombone | Tuba | Violin | Viola | Cello | Double Bass
Auditions Will Determine:
- Ensemble Placement
- Chamber Music Placement
- Master Class Invitations
- Private Instructor (in some cases)
Attending Orchestra Camp as a Resident Student:
Two-Week Resident Fee: $3700
One-Week Resident Fee: $2025
Attending Orchestra Camp as a Commuter:
Two-Week Commuter Fee (8:45 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.): $3050
One-Week Commuter Fee (8:45 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.): $1675
Attending Orchestra Camp as an Extended-Day Commuter:
Two-Week Extended-Day Commuter Fee (8:45 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.): $3300
One-Week Extended-Day Commuter Fee (8:45 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.): $1825
Please note that the Extended-Day commuter fee includes both lunch and dinner. The “8:45 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.” commuter fee includes lunch only.
Automated three, six, and nine-month interest-free payment plans available. Simply choose your desired option at check-out.
What if in-person events are restricted this summer due to COVID-19?
PIMF conducted a very successful online summer camp program in 2020. We are prepared to switch to online programming at any time, if necessary (we do not, however, expect this to be the case). Additionally, we hosted two sessions in-person in 2021 successfully with ZERO CASES of Covid-19 in any program/session.
If PIMF switches to an online platform and I do not care to participate in an online program, would I receive a full refund?
Yes, all funds paid will be refunded, less a $100 non-refundable deposit.
Do you provide transportation options to/from the PIMF summer programs?
Yes, we do! Please phone our office for more details or to schedule a pickup.
Is it necessary to submit audition materials for Orchestra Camp prior to registering?
Yes. Our Orchestra Programs are by-audition-only. Please wait until receipt of your official acceptance letter before registering.
When is the audition deadline?
Acceptance is on a rolling basis and spaces are limited. Early registration is highly recommended, as once all orchestra levels are filled to capacity, certain instruments will no longer be accepted and applicants will be put on a waiting list.
How will I know if a program is full?
Once any program (or Orchestra) is filled to capacity, a note is added to that program’s page on our website. If you do not see “Filled To Capacity” at the top of a program page, we are still accepting auditions.
Is there any required audition repertoire for the Orchestra Camp?
There is no specific required audition repertoire. Please go to the “Audition Information” tab for additional information.
How do I submit my audition materials?
PIMF uses the online portal Acceptd for all auditions. For detailed, easy-to-follow instructions, click here and choose “How to Upload Your Audition File” at the bottom of the page.
What if I need technical help with submitting my online audition materials?
Please feel free to contact our Operations Director at email@example.com, or contact Accept’d support directly.
What is the last date I can register for the PIMF summer music programs?
Early registration is highly recommended as enrollment is limited. Once the program is filled to capacity, students are placed on a waiting list.
Do you provide rentals if my airline cannot accommodate my instrument?
Yes. Many musicians (international students in particular) request information regarding cello and bass rentals. Please phone our Administrative Offices at: 856-875-6816 and we would be happy to assist you in securing a rental instrument.
Is chamber music included in the Summer Orchestra Program?
Chamber music is an available afternoon option for all summer music camp programs at PIMF (click here for fees and additional information).
Are there any final concerts that friends and family can attend?
The Grand Finale concerts for all Orchestra Camp Programs are held on the last day of each session. If attending the first week of any session, Grand Finales are held on Friday morning at 11:00am. If attending a two-week session (or the second week in any session), Grand Finales are held on Friday evening at 4:00pm. All festival orchestras perform at every Grand Finale.