Chamber music is included in the Solo Performance Preparation Program and the Soloists Ensemble Program. It is an option in other programs.
The 2016 Chamber Music repertoire listing included the selections below. Check back for updated 2017 repertoire listings.
Music with piano/ strings/ winds
- Malcolm Arnold: Quintet
- J.S. Bach: Little Fugue in G Minor
- J.S Bach: Toccata and Fugue in d minor
- Bax: piano quintet (piano 2 violins, viola, cello)
- Leonard Bernstein: West Side Story
- Boehme: Sextet (3 trumpets, horn, trombone,and tuba)
- Brahms: piano quintet (2 violins, viola, cello, piano)
- Dohnanyi: Sextet in C, opus 37 (piano, violin, viola, cello, clarinet, horn)
- Dubois: Quintet for piano, oboe, violin, viola, cello
- Victor Ewald: Quintet #1
- Fibich: Quintet (piano, violin, cello, clarinet, horn)
- Hindemith: Kleine Kammermusik, op.24 #2 (flute, clarinet, 2 bassoons, 2 trumpets, trombone, bass trombone, tuba)
- Gershwin: Selections from Porgy and Bess
- Klughardt: Quintet (piano, violin, cello, clarinet, horn)
- St. Saens: Septet for piano, trumpet, string quintet
- Stravinsky: L’histoire du Soldat (violin, bass, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, trombone, percussion)
- Stravinsky: Octet
- Tchaikovsky: Souvenir d’ Florence (2 violins, 2 violas, 2 celli)
- Schonberg: Transfigured Night
- Brahms: Quintet with 2 violas
- Dvorak: Quintet with 2 violas
- Shostakovich: Quartets #3 and #8
- Prokofiev: Quartets # 1 and 2
- Grieg: Quartet #1
- Dvorak: American Quartet
- Haydn (Quartets TBA)
- Mozart (Quartets TBA)
The PIMF Chamber Music Program sessions are two hours daily, and include coachings, chamber music master classes, and performance preparation with attention to bowings, articulation, musicianship, and specialized intonation concepts. Students at all levels can elect chamber music and will be assigned chamber music partners based on level of proficiency, age, and regional proximity. Student musicians enrolled in the PIMF Chamber Music Program elective will be sent music approximately four weeks prior to the start of the Festival. Complete works will be performed, featuring one movement per group. Performances for those enrolled in the PIMF Chamber Music Program for one week will perform at the conclusion of their respective week.
How to enroll in the optional Chamber Music Program at the Philadelphia International Music Festival:
After registering online (or via telephone at: 856-875-6816) for the Philadelphia International Music Festival students will receive a detailed confirmation packet.
To select the PIMF Chamber Music Program as your student’s afternoon Optionals choice, simply fill out the Chamber Music Registration Form included within the packet.
The PIMF Chamber Music Program is included for students who register for the PIMF Music House Program, the PIMF Solo Performance Preparation Program, the PIMF Soloists Ensemble Program,the Symphony Project 440 Chamber Music Track Program, and the Symphonic Winds Chamber Music Track Program. Participation in the PIMF Chamber Music Program is an option for all other students and will incur an additional fee.