Chamber Music Intensive Program
The PIMF Chamber Music Intensive Program is designed to train young musicians to serve their respective communities through interactive chamber music performance. This program is by audition only and open to students ages 13-19 who will also participate in the Symphony Orchestra ensembles.
Faculty members of the Philadelphia International Music Festival will present to 16 outstanding students the hands-on, industry-specific mentoring and training necessary to enable young musicians to become successful, engaging, and compassionate artists – prepared to contribute to the vibrancy of their own communities through interactive chamber music performance and engagement.
As part of their Community Engagement training, however, participants in the Chamber Music Intensive Program at PIMF will also engage audiences through performances in hospitals, libraries, and at other community sites in and around the lovely Main Line town of Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. In addition, they will learn leadership and entrepreneurship skills that are essential tools for young people planning a career in classical music.
In summary, the Chamber Music Intensive Program at PIMF focuses on training young performers to be outstanding chamber musicians ready to apply their newly-sharpened music skills to pursuits in their own neighborhoods and beyond. This life-changing training is invaluable in helping the young musician establish a successful rapport as a classical performer in his or her own community, often leading to employment as a soloist, chamber musician, or ensemble player in a local or professional symphony orchestra.
While on the Chamber Music track, students will participate in the full spectrum of PIMF events and activities, including private lessons, master classes and faculty recitals with members of the world-renowned Philadelphia Orchestra, daily orchestra rehearsals and music classes, private practice sessions, solo performance opportunities, festival competitions, and more.
A summer chamber music program like no other!
- Two private lessons with members of our world-class faculty (additional private lessons available for purchase in most orchestra camp weeks)
- Masterclasses with members of the world-renowned Philadelphia Orchestra
- Faculty concerts featuring members of The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Daily orchestra rehearsals
- Engage audiences through performances in hospitals, libraries, and at other community sites in and around the lovely Main Line town of Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.
- Daily private practice, with limited practice coach availability
- Solo performance hours with faculty accompanist
- Concerto Competition – winners perform as soloists with New Jersey’s Ocean City Pops or another regional orchestra
- Ear Training, Choir, and other music education class electives
- Each summer orchestra camp session concludes with a gala Grand Finale Concert featuring all PIMF orchestras
- Exciting evening activities and presentations; previous festivals have included private presentations by such renowned performers as Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman
- Duo Concerto Competition for violin students; winners of this competition will perform an on-stage duo concerto with a member of The Philadelphia Orchestra
- July 18 – July 31, 2020
Chamber Music Intensive Program Sample Schedule
- 8:45 – 9:30 a.m.: Full Festival Meeting (including orchestra camp participants, PIMF staff, and all other music camp participants)
- 9:45 – 12:00: Orchestra Rehearsal
- 12:00 p.m.: Lunch
- 12:50 – 1:50: Electives (Choir, Kreutzer Technique, Sight Reading, Jazz Ensemble, Conducting, Composition, Music History, Ear Training, Music Theory, & more)
- 2:00 – 3:00: Private Practice (required for all participants)
- 3:15 – 5:15: Chamber Music Intensive Program
- 5:30 p.m.: Dinner (Resident & Extended Day Campers only)
- 7:00 – 9:00: Evening Events (Student Concerts, Faculty Recitals featuring members of The Philadelphia Orchestra, Masterclasses, Competitions, Off-Campus trips to Philadelphia Orchestra concert(s), Talent Show, Movie Night, and more!)
Students in all PIMF summer music programs have three attendance options:
- Resident Camper (residing on campus throughout the duration of the session)
- Extended Day Camper (8:45 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily)
- Day Camper (8:45 a.m. – 5:15 p.m. daily).
Please note that the Extended Day Camp fee includes both lunch and dinner. The Day Camp fee includes lunch only.
Entrance into the Chamber Music Intensive Program is by audition only.
Audition Requirements for the PIMF Chamber Music Intensive Program:
- 5-10 minutes of current, well-prepared solo repertoire.
- Performances may be accompanied or unaccompanied.
- For students desiring to place in higher level ensembles, we recommend that audition recordings include two contrasting pieces.
- Please include scales appropriate to your instrument. Examples below:
(Please note that students auditioning for the orchestra summer camp may choose to prepare other scales, as these templates are created to simply show a suggested format.)
Auditions will determine:
- Program Acceptance
- Chamber Music Placement
- Masterclass Invitations
- Private Instructor (in some cases)
Attending as a Resident Student:
Two-Week Resident Fee: $3950
Attending as a Commuter:
Two-Week Commuter Fee (8:45 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.): $3300
Attending as an Extended-Day Commuter:
Two-Week Extended-Day Commuter Fee (8:45 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.): $3550
Please note that the Extended-Day commuter fee includes both lunch and dinner. The “8:45 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.” commuter fee includes lunch only.
Automated three, six, and nine-month interest-free payment plans available. Simply choose your desired option at check-out.
Are all PIMF summer programs held in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania?
Although some of our year-round programming is facilitated on other sites, ALL summer music camp programs are held on the estate-like grounds of Bryn Mawr College, (named by Travel and Leisure Magazine as one of the 30 most beautiful college campuses in the U.S.).
Do you provide transportation options to/from the PIMF summer programs?
Yes, we do! Please phone our office for more details or to schedule a pickup.
Is it necessary to submit audition materials for the Chamber Music Intensive Program prior to registering?
Yes. Please click the “Audition Information” tab for more information.
When is the audition deadline?
Audition materials are due as soon as possible.
Is there any required audition repertoire for the Chamber Music Intensive Program?
Visit our auditions page for more info.
How do I submit my audition materials?
PIMF uses the online portal Acceptd for all auditions. For detailed, easy-to-follow instructions, click here and choose “How to Upload Your Audition File” at the bottom of the page.
What if I need technical help with submitting my online audition materials?
Please feel free to contact our Auditions Director at email@example.com, or contact Acceptd support directly.
Do you provide rentals if my airline cannot accommodate my instrument?
Yes. Many musicians (international students in particular) request information regarding cello and bass rentals. Please phone our Administrative Offices at: 856-875-6816 and we would be happy to assist you in securing a rental instrument.
Are there any final concerts that friends and family can attend?
The Grand Finale concerts for the Chamber Music Intensive Program are held on the last day of the festival, Friday, July 26th.
"I have been to PIMF for two years now and it’s an incredible place to be. I’m always so inspired even months after I’ve attended and I continue to enjoy uncovering the new things that I can learn there. Can’t wait for next year!”
- Megan F., 2018
"Awesome - my daughter’s playing improved with the high level of music instruction. She also met quite a few kid musicians from all over the world that she’s been keeping contact with. I really loved the focus on practicing. She will be returning next year!”
- James M., 2018
"Our son loves PIMF and improves his level of play and repertoire for percussion. He loves the experience and time with friends in the dorms. He is going into his fourth summer in 2019. Thank you PIMF!”
- Jeff D., 2018
"The 2019 PIMF season will be my 3rd year at this camp and I absolutely love it!! Working with the members of the Philadelphia Orchestra has made me learn and grow so much and being able to work with other musicians my age is so much fun! I am so excited for this upcoming year and many years of PIMF!!!!”
- Kate F., 2018
“Our children love this camp so much. This is their fourth season, and I'm sure we will be back next year. What they learned this year was just amazing. The atmosphere is not only professional, it's fun! They come home inspired by all they see and set new goals for their playing. The staff are always so courteous and helpful. The Philadelphia Orchestra teachers are always the best. Thank you for all your hard work.”
- Jean F., 2019