About the Classical Kids Music Camp at PIMF
NOTE: PIMF has moved its full 2020 summer season online. PIMFVirtual enables students from around the world to study remotely with our world-class faculty, including principal players and other members of The Philadelphia Orchestra. These exciting summer camps will include nearly all of the opportunities presented in a physical setting. In many cases, our online programs actually offer more instructional and performance opportunities!
Two-Week and One-Week Program Sessions Available:
- Two-Week Pre-College Program Dates – June 19 – July 2, 2021
- One-Week Pre-College Program Dates – June 19 – June 25 / June 26 – July 2, 2021
- Two-Week Pre-College Program Dates – July 17 – July 30, 2021
- One-Week Pre-College Program Dates – July 17 – 23 / July 24 – July 30, 2021
The Classical Kids Music Camp at PIMF is offered to children from 8 to 10 years of age only. It is designed to balance skill-appropriate music activities (such as beginner, intermediate, or advanced orchestra participation) with age-appropriate social activities. Campers in the Children’s Division are placed according to skill level in one of multiple PIMF festival orchestras, which rehearse daily between 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. At the conclusion of each morning’s orchestra rehearsal, students in this program – regardless of orchestra placement – are escorted back to the Children’s Division, where they will spend the remainder of the day (and evening) with students of their own age. This exciting program includes solo performance opportunities, orchestra rehearsals, choir, daily practice hours, discussion groups, master classes, optional chamber music participation, instructional music game sessions, concerts featuring members of The Philadelphia Orchestra, and more!
PIMF offers an immersion in classical music education and performance including:
- Two private lessons with members of our world class faculty! Additional private lessons are available.
- Master Classes with members of the world-renowned Philadelphia Orchestra.
- Faculty concerts featuring members of The Philadelphia Orchestra.
- Daily Orchestra rehearsals.
- Required daily private practice, with limited practice coach availability.
- Solo performance hours with faculty pianist.
- Exciting evening activities and presentations. Previous festivals have included private presentations by Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman.
- Concerto Competition – winners will perform as soloists with the Ocean City Pops Orchestra.
- Choir electives
- Optional Chamber Music Program
- Gala Grand Finale Concert featuring all Festival orchestras.
- Swimming, volleyball, basketball, baseball, and more during free time.
- Duo Concerto Competition for violin and cello students. Winners of this competition will perform on-stage duo concerto performances with a member of The Philadelphia Orchestra.
Please note that children may attend the Classical Kids Music Camp at PIMF as a Resident Camper, residing in a dormitory-style room with an age-appropriate roommate and Program Chaperones on each floor, or as either Day Campers (9:00 a.m. – 5:15 p.m.) or as Extended Day Campers (9:00 a.m – 9:00 p.m.) Extended Day Campers attend all day and evening sessions, but do not reside on campus. They are served lunch and dinner during their time on campus but are dismissed at the close of each day’s regularly-scheduled evening activity (approximately 9:00 p.m. most days). Please contact our office for additional information about participation in our Children’s Program.
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:45 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.: Full Camp Meeting
- 9:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Orchestra Rehearsal
- 12:00 p.m.: Lunch
- 12:50 p.m. – 1:50 p.m.: Choir
- 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.: Private Practice
- 3:15 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.: Music Theory or Themed Crafts (Rotates Daily)
- 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.: Swimming or Sporting Activities
- 5:30 p.m.: Dinner (Day Campers Dismissed)
- 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.: Evening Student Concerts and Faculty Recitals featuring members of The Philadelphia Orchestra, Master Classes, Competitions, Off-Campus trips to Philadelphia Orchestra concert(s) and to the Ocean City, New Jersey, boardwalk, Talent Show, Movie Night, and more!
Please contact us with any questions or comments at:
Philadelphia International Music Festival
Phone: 856-875-6816 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2954 East Grant Avenue, Williamstown, NJ, 08094