Symphony Orchestra Program
As the PIMF Symphony Orchestra Program includes up to seven orchestra levels, all students are accepted into this program. Auditions are required for placement purposes only and should be uploaded only after a registration has been completed. For more information about auditions, please visit our audition requirements page.
Two-Week and One-Week Program Sessions Available:
June 2018 Session
- Two-Week Program Dates: June 16-29
- One-Week Program Dates: June 16-22 / June 23-29
July 2018 Session
- Two-Week Program Dates – July 14-27
- One-Week Program Dates – July 14-20 / July 21-27
PIMF 2017 July Grand Finale:
The Symphony Program includes: private lessons, master classes and faculty recitals with principal players from The Philadelphia Orchestra; daily orchestra rehearsals; optional daily chamber music rehearsals; solo performance opportunities, including two concerto competitions through which winners perform on-stage duo concertos with members of The Philadelphia Orchestra or as soloists with the Ocean City Pops Orchestra and/or other community and professional orchestras; daily private practice hours; daily music elective options including a choice of sight reading, ear training, conducting, composition, jazz ensemble studies, and more; optional afternoon sports program; evening concerts; off-campus outings to a Philadelphia Orchestra concert; annual music camp talent show; and much more!
The Philadelphia International Music Festival regularly includes up to seven orchestra levels. Consequently, it is possible to include in our dynamic summer music program students of all ages and skill levels. Audition files are required for placement purposes only and should be uploaded only after you have registered for the Philadelphia International Music Festival. Click here for more audition details.
Note: Private lessons will be conducted throughout the day.
- Two private lessons with members of our world class faculty (additional private lessons available for purchase)
- Master Classes with members of the world-renowned Philadelphia Orchestra
- Faculty concerts featuring members of The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Daily Orchestra rehearsals
- Daily private practice, with limited practice coach availability
- Solo performance hours with faculty pianist
- Concerto Competition – winners perform as soloists with New Jersey’s Ocean City Pops or another regional orchestra
- Choir elective
- Ear Training and other music education class electives
- Optional Chamber Music Program
- Gala Grand Finale Concert featuring all Philadelphia International Music Festival orchestras
- Swimming, tennis, volleyball, basketball and more during free time
- Exciting evening activities and presentations. Previous festivals have included private presentations by such renowned performers as Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman.
- Duo Concerto Competition for violin students. Winners of this competition will perform an on-stage duo concerto with a member of The Philadelphia Orchestra.
Jonathan Moser has loved music ever since childhood when he would sit under the family piano listening as his parents and grandmother played Beethoven, Chopin, and Rachmaninoff. His formal musical education began as a violin student, an education he pursued through a Bachelor of Music in Performance degree from Shenandoah University and a Master of Music in Performance degree from Arizona State University, with additional Doctoral studies in performance. Mr. Moser has enjoyed working with many outstanding teachers including Katie McLin, James Stern, Sergiu Schwartz, Linda Cerone, and Ronda Cole…Read more
Sample Daily Schedule
Students in the Symphony Program may attend as either: Resident Campers (Residing on campus throughout the duration of the festival), Extended Day Campers (8:45 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.), or Day Campers (8:45 a.m. – 5:15 p.m.). Please note that the PIMF “Extended Day Camp” fee (see registration form) includes both lunch and dinner. The PIMF “Day Camp” fee includes lunch only.
|8:45 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.:||Full Festival Meeting|
|9:45 a.m. -12:00 p.m.:||Orchestra Rehearsal|
|12:50 – 1:50 p.m.:||Intonation Training, Choir, Kreutzer Technique, Sight Reading, Jazz Ensemble, Conducting, Composition, Music History, Ear Training or Written Music Theory|
|2:00 p.m.- 3:00 p.m.:||Required Private Practice|
|3:15 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.:||Private Practice, Chamber Music Program*, Sports or Drama*
*Additional fees may apply.
|5:30 p.m.:||Dinner (Day Campers Dismissed)|
|7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.:||Evening Student Concerts and Faculty Recitals featuring members of The Philadelphia Orchestra,
Master Classes, Competitions, Off-Campus trips to Philadelphia Orchestra concert(s)
and to the Ocean City, New Jersey, boardwalk, Talent Show, Movie Night, and more!